Women’s Basketball Features a New Star This Season at Point Guard

ASHLAND – The Southern Oregon University women’s basketball team has an up and coming star in Ashley Claussen.  The 5’ 6” freshman from Scotts Valley, California currently leads the Raiders in three-point field goal percentage, shooting 53 percent on 32 attempts.

Claussen is excited to be at Southern Oregon and is thankful to have a spot on the Raiders squad.

“My AAU Coach Khalid Hicks of Got Game Get Game (G4 Tsunami) and Racheal Hicks, my conditioning trainer, contacted Coach Kennedy to watch me play when I was in Oregon last summer,” says Claussen, “He later reached out to me and invited me to visit SOU and hang with the team. Coach Kennedy saw something in me that other coaches didn’t and I liked the atmosphere at SOU.”

While Claussen, an early childhood education major, takes pride in the team’s commitment to hard work and dedication throughout the season, she also noted that the team still has fun and uses each other’s talents to win games.

When asked about her future goals while playing for the Raiders, Claussen made it very clear she intends to leave her mark on the court.  “[I want] To be the best player I can be and maybe go the next level. Become an All- American, make a good playoff run, be a leader for my team, win a National Championship, and win conference.”

Even though some have doubted her, Claussen has pushed through her obstacles and become a very talented player who will contribute greatly to the SOU women’s basketball team.

“I was always told I am too short and would never play college basketball,” says Claussen.   “But I always remember a quote my father said: ‘Believe in yourself and all that you are, know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.”