Yes, the harsh winter is upon us, and with it comes the dreaded plague to which we’re all susceptible: the common cold. This sickness makes your head hurt, your nose run, your limbs heavy…the list goes on! But this doesn’t mean you have to look as bad as you feel! Fear not darlings, I have a few tips on how to look and feel like your normal beautiful self again.
- Start from the inside out: drink as much water and warm tea (particularly Chamomile and Green) as you can manage, eat fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats like chicken, turkey, and fish. If you’re taking care of yourself, your body will be better equipped to fight off illness.
- Sleep. It seems so basic, but during the long days of classes, work, and other duties sleep is sometimes forgotten or compromised. Your body needs sleep to repair itself and get healthy again. Make it a goal to get at least eight hours of rest every night, and make it a habit.
- To fight that dry, sallow skin, make sure to wash your face gently with warm water and a mild cleanser morning and night. Particularly for those of us who wear makeup, even occasionally, it’s imperative to wash it all off properly before hitting the sheets. Oil-free cleansers are best for every skin type, but if you’re oily or have acne prone skin, a wash with salicylic acid is also important. After cleansing, always moisturize with an oil-free lotion and massage it gently into the skin.
- Now you’re ready for makeup! On freshly cleansed and hydrated skin, apply a tinted moisturizer or sheer coverage foundation to combat any redness, careful not to get too heavy handed. Next, apply a concealer under the eyes, around the nose, and on any blemishes. This will even out your complexion.
- To brighten those eyes, curl lashes with an eyelash curler, and apply one coat of lengthening mascara, wiggling at the base, and extending up and out toward brows. Apply dark blue waterproof eyeliner to the bottom lash-line, keeping it thin. Blue cancels out redness and makes the whites of eyes appear brighter and healthier, and the waterproof formula protects against smeared makeup due to watery eyes.
- Rub a soothing lip balm onto dry, cracked lips and let it absorb before patting on a bright cherry or pink gloss with blue undertones – they’ll make your teeth look brighter and whiter!
You’ll be feeling like your normal self in no time. And, if all else fails, chicken noodle soup and Nyquil work wonders. Take care, beautiful!
Note: If you’re sick, please take off at least the first day with symptoms and use hand sanitizer and tissues when in public. Be courteous to others by not spreading the virus…your professors and/or boss will understand!