How to Overcome the Week 3 Blues

Kayle Blackmore stressing to keep up with her assignments.

So, we’re three weeks into the fall term. The excitement of school starting has vanished, professors are starting to assign projects and copious amounts of homework, and midterms are two weeks away. Have you ever seen that meme of a dog drinking coffee in the middle of a burning house saying, “This is fine”? Yeah, that’s me right now.

Luckily, I have thought of ways to deal with the stress that college brings and I am here to share my tricks of the trade with you.

1. Go to bed

No matter how hard you try, you cannot focus on anything if you’re exhausted. There have been so many times where I have tried to do homework and I cannot solve the simplest problem. It is more than likely because I am just so tired. Do yourself a favor and take a nap or go to bed if you are having similar issues.

2. Take a hike

As wonderful as the library and coffee shops are, sitting in the same spot for hours on end makes it really difficult to stay focused and motivated. Shut down your laptop, put on a puffy jacket, and go for a walk through Lithia Park or around campus. Students at Southern Oregon University are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place like Ashland, so take advantage of the gorgeous trails and weather and get outside. Bonus points: put on your favorite album or talk with a friend to get extra zen.

3. Call your mom

Sometimes, a short little call to your mom can solve all your problems. Take 15 minutes out of your busy schedule to let your mom know that you’re alive, making friends, and maybe ask her for some advice. She will be so happy to hear your voice, and she may send you some cookies for some more motivation.

4. Talk to your peers 

I guarantee that if you are struggling in a class, someone else is having issues, so don’t beat yourself up. Talk with your classmates and see if someone is really understanding the material. Talk to that person, meet up and study together. I really struggle with reaching out, but college is all about stepping outside of your comfort zone. Sit next to someone you don’t know, ask questions, and make a friend.

5. Eat all the food

Ever go to class on an empty stomach? Whenever I forget to eat breakfast or bring a snack to class, all I can think about is what I am going to eat once I am free. Avoid this by bringing a snack to class or eating a big meal before you head to campus. Your mood will improve drastically, you’ll be way more focused, and you will actually understand what is happening in class. Plus, you get to eat all the delicious food that is offered in Ashland.

6. Realize it isn’t the end of the world

Regardless of what’s going on in school, realize that it will pass and you will probably forget about whatever you’re stressing about in a few weeks. Relax, have fun, and enjoy your time at SOU.