Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 39)

Traveling preachers cause a stir on campus

Traveling preachers cause a stir on campus

The area in front of the Stevenson Union is designated a Free Speech Zone. However, the most recent group to utilize this space caused an outcry from students. On Tuesday Oct. 9, the Luke 10:2 ministries came to campus and preached their view of the Christian Gospel to the students. Their main talking point was […]

Southern Oregon Pride festival kicks off Thursday, Oct. 11

Southern Oregon Pride festival kicks off Thursday, Oct. 11

The 2012 Southern Oregon Pride Festival is almost upon us, and it’s looking to be bigger and even better than last year. A celebration promoting equality, tolerance, and a sense of community among Southern Oregon’s gay community, this year’s festivities will kick off with the annual SO Pride Ball at the Ashland Armory on Friday, Oct. 12, […]

Looking for something to do this summer? Why not volunteer?

There is never a lack of opportunity for people to volunteer in Southern Oregon, and this summer presents the perfect chance for students in Ashland and the Rogue Valley to take part in their community, while also challenging themselves. “I think volunteering can be really helpful to learn about yourself, your interests, and the things […]

“My Darling Lenny”: A Celebration Of Life For Lenny Holland

“My Darling Lenny”: A Celebration Of Life For Lenny Holland

My Darling Lenny  As many of you know Lenny Holland passed away on Monday May 28th. I am extremely sorry to you all for this great loss of a wonderful man. Lenny Holland was a compassionate man with a magnificent heart and soul. Because of this he captured my heart forever. When he asked me […]

Friendship and Loss: Remembering Lenny Holland

Friendship and Loss: Remembering Lenny Holland

We all lose something special just when we need it most. Friendship is among these. We have a disagreement, someone moves away; we just lose touch or simply don’t make the effort to maintain the connection. Usually this friendship wasn’t a strong, bonded friendship to begin with. Although sad, this type of loss can be […]

Want to see a show? OSF offers special discounts to patrons between 19 and 35

Although Ashland is known for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, many people don’t know all the Festival has to offer. In addition to its 11-show season, backstage tours, discussions with the actors, special matinees for school groups, and the Green Show, OSF also offers discounted tickets for young adults for select performances through the 19-35 Club. […]

Final lecture in the “Civility” series takes aim at American involvement in Middle East

Students and community members alike gathered to hear distinguished professor and author Andrew Bacevich give a lecture May 17, which critically addressed the United States’ actions in the global “war on terrorism,” a war he said went far beyond the conventional wars being fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. “Elsewhere – Pakistan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia, […]

Student walkout will take a stand on budget cuts, disinvestment in higher education

Southern Oregon University, like many other universities nationwide, has been severely impacted by the disinvestment in higher education, and students and community members have finally decided it is time to take a stand. On Thursday May 17 at noon, students will be protesting by walking out of their classes and convening at the courtyard of […]

When it all comes together: tech weekend at SOU’s Center Stage Theatre

Dressed in black, stagehands mop the empty black stage. Other similarly dressed stagehands remove the set of one production and replace it with another. A table and chairs connected into a single unit slides from stage right to stage left, disappearing in the wing. The pit, an area between the stage and the auditorium in […]

“Paws for Relaxation” offers a four-legged solution to college stress

Cramming your brain full of theories for finals can be stressful, especially when your finals can make or break your grade. Luckily though, one person has decided to use her time and her love of dogs towards a practicum project that will help students cope with the stress of finals week. “I am excited about […]