The Nerd Is The Word: Farewells and Summer Movies

Welcome to the final issue of The Nerd Is The Word. In this issue, our hero boldly goes where many men have gone before, THE CINEMA!

Well, here it is, the final issue of The Nerd Is The Word. It has been fun bringing you my nerdy rants this past year. But now, I’m graduating and moving on to bigger and better things, like the movies. This isn’t a time for tears and woe. No, I mean it, please don’t cry. This is the summer for rejoicing. Some of the biggest films of the year have come out recently, like Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness and there are still a whole lot more to come. Below are some of the ones that I am most excited or this summer.

Pacific Rim (July 12):

Two years ago at San Diego Comic Con I had the privilege to go to the Legendary Pictures pre-production panel. The first film that was discussed was Guillermo Del Toro’s Pacific Rim. Del Toro, Charlie Hunnam, Idras Elba and Charlie Day were all there to talk about how awesome this movie about people piloting giant robots against enormous monsters. Let that sink in, I’ll wait…..GIANT FREAKING ROBOTS FIGHTING ENORMOUS MONSTERS! How could you not want to see this movie. The trailer sees one of the Jaegers (the robots) swinging a cruise ship at a Kaiju (the monsters) like a baseball bat. BATTER UP!

Elysium (August 9):

In the future, the privileged live on Elysium, a utopia orbiting Earth. There’s no disease, war or crime, everything is perfect. Everyone else, however, lives on a dying Earth. Matt Damon plays a man on Earth desperate to change the status quo. This is the second feature film from District 9 director Neill Blomkamp and also stars Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley (reuniting him with Blomkamp from District 9). The trailer looks fantastic. I loved District 9 and it looks like Blomkamp isn’t going to fall into the sophomore slump.

Kick-Ass 2 (August 16):

Following the events of the first Kick-Ass, other citizens are inspired to don a mask and help people as superheroes. There’s a team of heroes called “Justice Forever”, Hit-Girl has “retired” and Red Mist is back with a new name and his own team of super villains. I loved the comic series, the first movie was everything I could have wanted for an adaptation and I am extremely excited for this one. We have Jeff Wadlow taking over from Matthew Vaughn in the directors chair, there’s a fantastic cast of new characters, including Jim Carrey and Donald Faison and we see the return of Aaron Johnson, Chloë Grace Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse. I can’t wait for this film.

The World’s End (August 23):

Here it is, the movie that I think I’m most excited for this summer. The epic “conclusion” of Edgar Wright’s loose “Three Flavours Cornetto” Trilogy (the other two being Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz). In this film, which is framed by science fiction, we see a group of friends reunite (at the prodding of Simon Pegg’s character) and return to their hometown in an attempt to complete the legendary pub crawl that they failed to finish 20 years earlier. However, upon returning, they realize that something is not quite right in the village. The movie stars Pegg, Nick Frost and Rosamund Pike. I love Wright’s movies. They are absolutely delightful and the films from this trilogy are amazing how they lampoon genres. If you don’t get out to any other films this summer, go see this one. The crew of Wright, Pegg and Frost never disappoint.

That’s it for The Nerd Is The Word, look for the changing of the guard in the summer and be excellent to each other.

Ian Hand has enjoyed his time writing this column and hopes that you’ve enjoyed it too. You can follow him on Twitter @IanHand253 to see any future endeavors. So long and thanks for all the fish.